Braille Study mode is an outstanding JAWS feature that is compatible with the Focus 40, 80, and 14 Blue refreshable braille displays. Whether you are teaching students how to read and write braille or learning it yourself, you will benefit from this powerful feature.
Advantages of Braille Study Mode
Learn braille while performing practical tasks when using an ElBraille or a Focus display connected to a Windows computer running JAWS. These include:
- Reading documents
- Composing emails
- Navigating web pages
Use it Anytime
Use Braille Study mode if you are reading a document and need a refresher on a particular braille character or symbol. You can:
- Press the LEFT or RIGHT NAV MODE button with a CURSOR ROUTER button to hear JAWS speak the current character.
- Press the LEFT or RIGHT SELECTOR button with a CURSOR ROUTER button to hear JAWS speak and spell the current word.
JAWS will return to normal operation after the character or word is announced.
Enable Braille Study Mode
Braille Study mode can also be enabled for continuous use. For example, activate it to practice reading and writing in a Microsoft Word document.
When Braille Study mode is enabled, the CURSOR ROUTER buttons function differently. You can:
- Press the CURSOR ROUTER button above a cell to hear JAWS speak the braille character in that cell.
- Press the CURSOR ROUTER button above a cell with the LEFT or RIGHT SELECTOR button to hear JAWS speak and spell the current word.
To enable Braille Study mode:
- Press INSERT+V to open Quick Settings.
- Begin typing the word “study” until you hear JAWS speak the words “Study Mode.”
- Press the DOWN ARROW key to navigate to this option.
- Press the SPACEBAR to toggle on Study Mode.
Braille Study Mode remains active until JAWS is restarted or you repeat these steps to disable it. Disabling Braille Study Mode returns the CURSOR ROUTER buttons to normal operation.
Visit our Braille Training page to learn more about this feature. Continue celebrating Braille Literacy Month with us by registering for our upcoming webinar, “Celebrating Braille at Work and School,” which takes place on Thursday, January 28 at noon Eastern time.
Do you use one of our braille hardware devices? Share your favorite features with us by commenting on this post. Watch for subsequent braille hardware feature posts every Wednesday throughout January.